Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Push through or give up

One of the most difficult decisions in life is deciding to give up on a dream or persevere. On one hand, there are times we need to let go to of something so we can work toward something bigger/better, etc. On the other, the question is are we giving up on THE dream, something that would make the sacrifice worthwhile. This is so hard!

For example, I have a lot of dreams I would like to see come true. But I also have four kids, a husband, a dog, four cats, and three horses to care for and nurture. The kids are in quite a few activities and my husband works hard to provide for all of us. It's really busy. How do dreams fit in? Do we let go of the things we really want in life or do we find a way to pursue them within the business?

I've found it's a balancing act. I have to be intentional about the activities I'm involved in and say 'no' a lot, even though I would have said 'yes' without blinking a few years ago. I pray before I answer if I'm not sure about something. Even with all the precautions, protection and time I may give to a goal, I'm rarely satisfied. I'm easily frustrated at times that it's not moving fast enough and am afraid I'm going to die before I see the fruit of what I'm dreaming about. I guess that's okay, though, because once you're dead you won't know what you haven't achieved or finished. : )

The really hard part is when you come to a crossroad, such as do I go alone or continue with a partner in this? Can I give up a week with my kids and miss the first few days of school to attend a conference? Do I start a job knowing it will take time and energy away from my family? Do I serve people outside my immediate family? If I do, how do I choose who that will and won't be?

The problem really isn't finding something to do or serving people, the issue really is what should I be doing. We can make ourselves super busy doing all kinds of things for people and/or missions but is this where I'm called to be and where I'm most useful?

Knowing where I'm supposed to be and who I need to be serving is the most important thing. It's also one of the most difficult at times. There are moments I know for sure I'm where I need to be but other times it's not really clear.

The knowing that we are in the right place without a doubt is how we accomplish our dreams, though. This is critical to coming into what we were created.

So, pushing through or giving up is still something I struggle with almost everyday. The answer fortunately doesn't come from me, it comes from the Lord. He lets me know if and when I need to pull back or go forward. The more we commune with Him the more we will come into the fullness of what he desires for us.

We are like a train that needs a track. Once we find the track and get on, it's full speed ahead.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment