Thursday, July 31, 2014

Authentic

We've all met people who morph or change personalities according to whom their around. If they're in a group of Christians, they claim to love the Lord. If they go to a bar, they are entrenched in that scene. I know those people well because that is who I was for a really, really long time. I was a chameleon, changing according to whoever I was around. It was great because I fit in with everyone but I was miserable. Changing to fit whoever you're around is hard and exhausting. I was constantly trying to guess their next move and anticipate how to respond. I really didn't know who I was because I was always changing. The worst part is leaving a scene and wondering if I played the part well enough. Did they like me? Will they want to spend time with me? I wonder if I will get asked back?

I've grown in my identity in Christ. I don't worry about changing to my environment anymore but I've noticed something else. When I watch people whom I'm around now, they sometime mimic me, my words, my actions. These are grown people. Shouldn't they know who they are?

This looks inauthentic but I want to propose that this could also be morphing process, a chrysalis, a time of change.

When Jesus came he called the disciples to follow him. Before the Holy Spirit fell during Pentacost they only had him and an occasional releasing of the Holy Spirit. They spent three years watching, mimicking and copying his behavior. He was the ultimate teacher. He came so we could copy him, watch how he treated others and lived the ultimate surrender. He showed us how to truly love our neighbors and our enemies. When he left they were never the same. He made his mark on their life.

Elijah and Elisha are a good example of a mimicking relationship. Elijah had walked with the Lord for a long time before the Lord told him to find Elisha. When he did Elisha not only stayed with him to the end but wanted "a double portion of your spirit on me" (2 Kings 2:9) He wanted what Elijah had and more. This is what we should be wanting from those around us and others should want from us. They want not only what we have but more. This is not an earthly wanting, though. It is a spiritual desire. 

People who don't know Christ intimately but desire that piece will watch and copy those that do have a close relationship with him. This turns most people off but I propose that we should embrace this as mature Christians. Some people will come to Him quickly with no inhibitions in  their conversion but others have a difficult time trusting God. When we exhibit true surrender and trust in Him it provides a safe place for others to try.

Don't be turned off by those that haven't mastered their identity in Christ. They're on their way. They may just need to know the water's warm before they submerge themselves in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment