Thursday, November 12, 2015

How my non-believing father models Christ's freedom

I grew up in an amazing family. A family that really understands freedom and embodies how to encourage each other and sends them out to do the best they can. Jealousy does not exist between my siblings.

My father was and still is currently a non-believer. He is not a Christian.
People ask me how I know this. Because he says.
I'm not sure what or where to classify him and I don't really worry about that piece.

What I do know is he taught me what freedom is and how to live that way.
Christ came for freedom. How can a man who doesn't know Jesus model this so well? Because Jesus knows him.

Jesus makes deposits in all people, not just the ones that believe in Him.
Once we know Him, we understand the deposit and our true identity but His love is for all of humanity.

I spent most of my life not knowing Jesus, but He always knew me. In fact, He knew me before I was born. When I hear Christians say they don't know how people make it without having Christ in their lives, I say, I do. I know.

When you grow up in a good family, are moderately intelligent, an extrovert, have a decent job, just really no big needs, it's amazing how long you can go without Him.

It's the day I woke up and realized that I have a huge void and my life is empty. That's when the search began.

Jesus made deposits in my life for 30+ years before I realized I needed Him. That's what love does. Love gives even when it's not recognized...or realized...or respected. I can look back and see His hand all over the first 30 years of my life.

My level of freedom runs deep. It is the understanding not only of what and who Jesus is but who my earthly father is. To have that background is more precious than gold.

I can say a lot of things of where my father falls short, but none of those are fruitful, especially since anyone close to me could also do the same in my case. I choose to see the positive legacy that he is leaving me.

God makes deposits that truly are a testimony of who He is, even when the person receiving doesn't recognize what's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment